Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Ferro Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-13-2012 12:30 PM)scotian Wrote:  If you're unskilled, the most important thing you can do is get to Alberta first because these companies aren't going to give you much time if you're out of province. It may be a wise idea to start out in Calgary or Edmonton with a company that does fly in/out to Fort Mac, get settled first and see if you like it, acquire some skills and safety tickets then head up to the Mac. Of course, you can go directly to Fort Mac and try to do the same there but I'd make sure you have enough money to cover things like rent and food.

Thanks a lot. I plan on flying over to Calgary, picking up the safety tickets listed here, and then applying at all the Calgary offices of the big corporations and contractors listed here.

Just to clarify; I should be able to get a fi/fo job by applying through the Calgary offices, instead of having to drive all the way up to Ft. Mac to apply right?

I am glad you mentioned having a car. How bad do Alberta winters get for driving? Would something with AWD, traction control, and snow tires be mandatory or could I get away with a basic sedan and all-season tires like in Ontario?
08-13-2012 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ferro - 08-13-2012 05:49 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM