Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-27-2012 07:41 AM)alecks Wrote:  wassup scotian,

There is a course i can take in regards to welding from jan 2013 to the end of april.its kind of an evening course/pre employment course showing the basics and ins-and-outs of starting welding.

"This course provides a practical introduction to three common welding processes which are used in industry Structure Candidates may take any or all of the following Welding Processes:

Manual Metal-Arc Welding (MMA) rutile electrodes,
Metal-Arc Gas Shielded welding (MAGS) solid wire,
Tungsten Arc Gas Shielded welding (TAGS) carbon steel /stainless steel"

I have no idea about welding at all.Il have to start reading books and getting tips from my brother (he was a welder for years).Im just in it for the paper when i move out there.Would a pre-employment course like this look good on my resume for a company/contractor? Would may/june 2013 be a good time to move out still? Thanks a lot man

Welding is good trade that is very much in high demand in the oil sands and is also one of the most high paying if you go the self contracting route (it'll take a few years to get to that level). Journeyman welders with their B-pressure ticket who own their own welding trucks make over $1000/day.

That course will be a good introduction to welding basics and you'll likely find an entry-level welding position afterwards and be on your way to an apprenticeship, the spring is a very busy time of year in the oil industry in Alberta.

Also, welders work everywhere in the world, its not an oil industry specific trade, if you ever wanted to leave Alberta, you could always find a job in a fabrication shop somewhere or in commercial construction, nuclear, ship building, aviation, etc. Also, just because you start out as a welder, doesn't mean you'll be one forever, you could go onto be a foreman, manager, QC inspector, safety, etc.

I say go for it!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
08-28-2012 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 08-28-2012 07:05 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM