Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hi Everyone.

I haven't been on here in a while but that's only cause I have been working my ass off all summer in a place with no internet access. 60 Hour weeks with 9 days off all summer! I have my visa sorted, my flights booked in Calgary for the 2nd week of sept and just got my travel insurance a few minutes ago. Tomorrow I am updating my resume, Cover letter and references.

Plan is to sort out my Social Insurance Number, Health Care and open a bank account in Calgary then head up to Edmonton.

Once there do the HS2 Alive course, First Aid and PSTCST Courses (should I do all of these Scotian?).

While doing those I plan on staying at a cheap hostel ( any suggestions anyone?) and keeping a low profile. I am off drink and drugs till Christmas at least as I have one shot at this and want to stay sharp. Plus I am rolling solo in a country I have never been in before.

While doing the course I am going to be hitting everyone and every company possible about jobs. My resume will look real good as I do have a nice bit of experience, a Engineering Management Degree and have done well in interviews in the pass.

I am looking for camp work as I guess its the best way to get working fast while not having to rent an apt and buy a car ( am I right Scotian?)
I am not too fussy about it having to be some Degree level job straight away as I just want to keep my savings high.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this forum and especially Scotian. I am a little nervous but am definitely looking forward to work in the Oil Fields!!!!

If anyone is around up there or has some contacts please PM me as I would hugely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and wish me luck!!!!BananaBananaBanana
08-29-2012 06:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Atlantic's post:
scotian, pitt, Vacancier Permanent, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 08-29-2012 06:04 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM