Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Nima Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-01-2012 12:09 AM)catalyst Wrote:  Scotian, a big thank you for creating this thread. The advice you have listed has been golden and I am sure many of us will benefit from a lifestyle that is vastly different from what we are acclimatized to.

I am a Asian international student in my mid/late 20s currently living in N.S, finishing a degree in the humanities by May 2013. Once I graduate, I should have a 3 year work permit. I have stayed previously in B.C and have been living in Canada for 5 to 6 years since finishing adult High School here. I have no ambition of being an academia or taking any advance degree and will likely make the move to Calgary or Edmonton. Since my career prospect with my degree is somewhat dim, I am thinking of pursuing a career in the trades, with a focus on maintenance. I was conscripted when I was in my early 20s, so living in a work camp is not a big deal for me. I do relish the prospect of having some financial freedom.

I have some questions that I hope you might advice me on.

1. I am under the impression that most employers in Fort Mac are more likely to hire non-Canadians with a valid work permit? Is there a huge discrepancy pertaining to wages between Canadians and non-Canadians? Do non-Canadians face significant hurdle?

2. I looked at the trade schools, in particular, NAIT and SAIT. I came across pre-employment courses and pre-apprentice courses. Are the 2 significantly different? You mentioned yourself taking a course earlier in the thread. Did it help to differentiate you from other job candidates?

Appreciate it!

If you're ever back in Halifax or the Valley for a visit, give me a shout. Booze is on me!

I'm thinking about taking a pre-employment course as well. You asked a lot of good questions, I'll wait till Scotian gets back to you to ask more specific questions.

@ Scotian, is it okay if I send you a PM to ask some personal questions about your own trade/job?
09-01-2012 02:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-01-2012 02:33 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM