Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Zeus Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
BADWOLF.

A heavy duty mechanic is a well sought after career. Pretty badass. When you're licensed you will have the ability to take apart and put back together basically anything mechanical. Mechanics is the trade of trades. It involves physics, hydrolics, pnumatics, combustion, machining, welding... I could go on.

You get to work on the biggest machines in the world and could make serious paper.

But!

Do you want to hold your child in 5 years? It will ruin your body. Just google heavy duty mechanic body or some variation. They last 10 years. 30 year olds complain of having trouble tieing their boots in the morning. Now, i will bet everything these guys once thought that they were invincible as 20 year olds first getting in the trade and did not take care of themselves.

You can definitely have a long career out of it, you just must be absolutely diligent about maintaining your health. That means sleep (most important) hitting the gym and staying strong. And that also means taking care of the little muscles. Like the 4 tiny ones in your shoulder. These are the ones that cause shoulder dislocations and surgeries. (just as an example) recognising when your hurt and taking care of it immediately.

I want to be a HDM but i already have shoulder issues.

Just my opinion.

Auto mechanic. Not as 'tough' as an HDM but you can still get easily injured. But its stilk a very rewarding career.

The other trades will all have their physical limitations. Perhaps others could chime in.

Z
09-01-2012 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zeus's post:
Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zeus - 09-01-2012 02:14 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM