Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Post Reply 
Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Author Message
ltyler01 Offline

Posts: 6
Joined: Aug 2012
Reputation: 0
Post: #379
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-26-2012 04:28 PM)Sabra Wrote:  Great thread scotian, big +1.

Would also suggest to people interested in this to look into natural gas or clean energy (wind, solar, hydro, etc.) first. It's also undergoing a huge boom (especially NG), and you can find utility work almost anywhere in the world. It also includes a wide range of skills, and they will often train you as welder, fitter, mechanic, appliance repairsman, etc. Many times in those positions you can work up to supervisor, and they'll pay for a technical degree. Also they're always looking for engineers, accountants, etc.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need to join the union. They typically pay well to start, and almost always need overtime. People can easily pull in over $120K if they're willing to work the OT.

This can be a good compromise if you're looking for high paying, steady (though physically difficult) work, but don't want to go somewhere as remote as the oil sands.

Also a lot cleaner for the environment than oil - that's not a 'tree-hugger' perspective, it's simple fact.

Regarding the questions about training, safety courses, etc., I can't answer specifically to the oil sands, but take note that many degrees and courses are only relevant for a specific country or state. For example, somebody trained under NEC, or NFPA, or ASME codes in the US may not qualify to work as electrician, pipefitter, pressure vessel inspector, etc. elsewhere, or may need to re-qualify. I know that at least some of the Canadian codes differ from the US ones.

Anyone going to Canada through a temporary work permit will can work there for a period of time, from 6 months...up to a year in some cases before a work visa can be issued. After that, they must challenge for and pass Canada's Red Seal exam for their trade or profession, usually within 180 days. I'm going to Alberta Canada to work under these requirements. Most the companies there hiring workers for long term assignments offer preparation for taking the Red Seal exam.

For skilled trades-persons Alberta's Apprenticeship & Industry Training (AAIT). AAIT evaluates work experience by speaking directly with previous employers and training institutions (using interpreters where necessary), and then issues a letter of approval permitting the TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker) to enter and work up to 180 days in Canada before passing the exam. Then a work visa can be issued.

My guess for other professions the process is similar.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 09:36 AM by ltyler01.)
09-03-2012 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ltyler01 - 09-03-2012 09:25 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM