Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Nima Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-06-2012 04:03 AM)Irishman Wrote:  Hey guys,

Less than a week to flying out and things are shaping up nicely.

Flights, visa, travel insurance are all taken care of. Total cost for all three is less than a 1000 Euros.

Hostel booked in Edmonton for a week. Around 220 CAD.

3 Courses lined up for the week after I land. H2S Alive, Standard First & PST(CSTS)

CV and a letter of recommendation are done and look real tight.

Suit is packed in, plus some good winter clothes.

Even got a new haircut- didnt think my surf afro would work well at job interviews haha

Speaking of which I have 3 job interviews lined up 2 days after I land. I emailed all the recruitment agencies asking who wanted to help me find some work. Got to love outsourcing.

Basically I look the part and have the paperwork to back it up.

So nearly ready to hit the ground and start hustling. Can't wait! Trying to keep myself as motivated and positive as possible.

So for less than 5000 Euros all in I should be able to get a job that pays big bucks. Wont be long making back my initial investment anyway haha.

I will keep this up to date as much as I can once I land...

(09-06-2012 04:19 AM)Irishman Wrote:  Also I am thinking of just getting a bike to get around...

http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/bik/3241938662.html

I can knock down the guy on price then sell it back to someone in the hostel for a bit more after I'm done.
Kinda want to keep my money levels as high as possible.

Seems like everything is within biking distance and would be a kinda fun way to get around.
Good for day game too- girls kinda like me approached when you are on a bike I find.

Anyone know if you have to wear a bike helmet in Canada? Does'nt matter in Ireland but I know some countries are real strict on that. I hate bike helmets.

Different province by province, but for Alberta:

Quote:The Alberta helmet law came into effect from 1st May 2002. It applies to cyclists under 18 years of age and includes passengers and toddlers on tricycles.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1032.html

And congrats on the move. Are you just looking for labour jobs? Have any plans to get into a trade after a while?
09-06-2012 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 09-06-2012 03:03 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM