Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
DjembaDjemba Offline
Pelican

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-07-2012 03:07 PM)pitt Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 03:03 PM)DjembaDjemba Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 12:44 PM)pitt Wrote:  I wonder what happened to djemba djemba

I got a job on the 2nd day here. Been working on site since, got my first week's paycheque last night. Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I'm off for a week and have been solo dolo out in E-town. I hope it gets better but I have to admit my game has been really off. Toronto subtle shit don't work here. Bitches here like cavemen.

damn,.that was easy.

So what job are you doing there? You care to say how much you are earning after taxes? Do you have any relevant experience that is applicable on the field?

I think your answers would help all of us interested in moving there.

I had it easier because I had a connection here already, so I was hired on the spot w/o any formalities. If you're coming here without a connection, it's a little different. If you're doing a higher end job that is specialized (engineer, something that requres 10 years exp etc), you'll probably need to apply online, it's the usual bs with HR.

But if you want to get your feet wet from the shallow end of the water and get into general labour, a trade, or something along those lines you can simply go to industrial park, drive around and submit your resume. Put relevant shit on it, like "previous construction experience", or "welder", or whatever skills you bring to the table.

Make sure you have a local number, a ride, and are available asap. Get your tickets they help, companies will pay for them but it makes you more employable. The most important are H2S, Confined Space, CSTS, WHMIS, Fall Protection.

If you want any specific info on pay toss me a PM, but it's similar to the numbers Scotian posted on page 1 of the thread.
09-07-2012 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like DjembaDjemba's post:
pitt, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - DjembaDjemba - 09-07-2012 03:34 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM