Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(09-21-2012 09:13 PM)23Billion Wrote:  Got my H2S Alive ticket today.
Got my Zoomboom ticket a few days ago.

I'm in Regina, Saskatchewan though. I know somebody who lives here and they said I could crash here and not have to worry about rent and all that. I had $900 or so on me but I still came here.

I've heard there are lots of jobs in Estevan, Saskatchewan also!

I also learned that CSTS is called SCOT now.

At the H2S Alive place I met a lot of dudes already working. Different people told me different things. Most told me H2S Alive is enough. But I'm thinking of doing a constuction safety ticket. Not sure which trade to get into. Any input guys?

I`d recommend getting a job on a busy construction site to get some hands on experience and see what its like, do some networking, ask different tradesmen questions about their job, etc. Most importantly, save some money!!! Once you have some money banked then you can switch jobs and hopefully figure out what you want to do.

Honestly the hardest decision about working in the resource sector is figuring out what you want to do. Try to pick something that you can see yourself doing for at least a few years, before moving on to something else, or maybe something you could see yourself doing long term, also look at careers that aren`t limited to geographical areas, that you can do in any city.

You can`t go wrong with the building, or craft trades: welder, pipefitter, electrician, crane operator, diesel mechanic, etc.

Sask is booming with oil, gas, potash, uranium, etc. should be lots of work there for years to come and any skill you pick up there can be used in other areas like Fort McMurray.

Sorry to hear that you have to live in Regina bud, good luck!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
09-21-2012 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 09-21-2012 09:52 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM