Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
lordcryor Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hello to everyone! I am a newbie to this forum, I've been patiently waiting for the Oct 1st, to become a member. Smile. I am a Union Journeyman Electrician in the United States. Work in my trade has been SUPER SLOW!!! So for the last 3 months I have been considering possibly working over seas in Afghanistan, but have been a little Leary of making the plunge. About a month ago I found this forum and have been following all of the threads. I have looked at the video links that Scotian has provided about the work camps in Alberta. The money sounds great and since I am single I think that working for 3-6 months hard and taking the next 6 months off would be ideal for me! Smile. I have a passport and a couple grand in the bank, but it is dwindling fast so I figure I better at least get any paperwork in that would require me to show a certain amount of money while I actually have some money! Lmbo! I have called and emailed a couple of the companies that you (Scotian) listed in past threads but I have never gotten a call or an email returned. Additionally, I went to the Canadian citizenship website and if I read correctly I think I will need a temporary working permit? But there again, I called the Los Angeles Office (which is suppose to cover the processing for my state (Missouri) and it only has a recording. And I really like talking to a live person to get a clear understanding of what I need. If anyone knows someone working at one of the camps that is from the states and could tell me how to go about getting with a company and getting any other permits that I need it would be super!! I know Scotian said that he is not going to work this winter because of the brutal winter, but I Amy not have a choice! Funds are low on my end. Besides, I was born in Michigan and lived there until I graduated from High School. So brutal winters are no surprise for me. But I must admit, the link that was posted that showed a cup of hot coffee being thrown up into the wire and evaporating, now that scared me........ ROTF!!!
10-01-2012 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - lordcryor - 10-01-2012 12:00 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM