Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-01-2012 11:50 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  Scotian, he could do what Fisto did and hit North Dakota or something, right?

I'm not quite sure the demand in North Dakota is as high for tradesmen as it is in Fort McMurray, I'm sure there are some up there but nothing like northern Alberta.

The reason is because in ND, the oil is drilled there and sent away to be refined in other states, only 10% is processed in ND, you can read about that here: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05...kotas-oil/

In northern Alberta, the oil comes from bitumen, which is a clay like substance referred to as "oil sands", its a very difficult and costly process to separate the oil from the bitumen and it is done on-site at upgraders and refinery like plants in the Fort McMurray area, it is then shipped away for refining.

Basically I imagine a place like Williston ND being full of drilling rigs, great place to get a job as a roughneck, whereas Fort McMurray is full of big refineries and industrial plants, which require lots of tradesmen to build and maintain.

With the recession in the States still going on, I would imagine that its hard for a tradesman to get a steady gig at a refinery these days in big refining centres, hence the reason lots of them are looking north, we need them!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-02-2012 12:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
WanderingSoul, Vacancier Permanent, raliv

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-02-2012 12:08 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM