Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
lordcryor Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
@ RioNomad, I am not sure about North Dakota but would be willing to give it a try. What I would really like to do is work a mad amount of hours for several months then take a long vacation. So Fort Mac sounds exactly like what I am looking for, and I am haven't heard or read anything online to lead me to believe that North Dakota is jumping like that!

@ Scotian, yes I am IBEW. About a week ago, after reading a previous threads, I called up my union and had one of the Business Reps call local 424 to inquire about work. The Business Rep called me back and told me that Local 424 does not directly send out any journeyman to any of the oil sand camps. They said that it is all mostly non-union. And that I could try to contact one of the larger companies and try to get on with one of them. Then they also told my Business Rep that I would need something called a Temp work visa. So Scotian, this is when I called a few companies that you had listed and I also emailed a couple. Each company transferred me to a voicemail and I had to leave a message. Its been almost 2 weeks later and I am still waiting on a response. So today I called the Canadian Immigration Consulate Office and kept trying random extensions until I finally got a live person. Smile The person that I got told me that this was not his department, but he said that I first have to get an invitation to work from a company before I can apply for a Temp Working Visa. So here I am back to square 1. I will try to call back those companies that I called 2 weeks ago and also try to contact a few more. Scotian, how long are you planning on working this fall before you bounce to a warmer climate? I read a thread a couple of weeks ago saying that it was crazy in Fort Mac and the next shut down had already started. So should I just try to tough it out here and wait until Feb or March?
10-02-2012 02:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - lordcryor - 10-02-2012 02:46 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM