Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Well I just checked the current price of oil and the WTI price per barrel is currently at $91.63, this is a very good price for us in the oil biz.

I've probably said this 100+ times in this thread, but again, high oil prices at or above $70/barrel are what the oil sands really needs to be profitable and if they continue to stay in that range, we'll see continued development of these big projects.

I've been on a few different new construction sites in the last couple of months and they're all the same story; we're building phase one of a multi-phase project, we're already preparing for stage two and we've commissioned the engineering for phase three. I heard that exact story from some big wig at Conoco Philips a couple of weeks ago about their Surmont project, they have five stages planned which will take them up to 2020 to build and once complete, it will be the largest SAGD plant site in history. Same story at Suncor Firebag (building SAGD plants until 2012) and Husky sunrise. Exxon kearl lake has finished phase one and is currently building phase two.

Anyway, you guys can have it, I'm done! Haha, I've only been in camp for 2 weeks, my company asked me to go for "just a few days" and of course, the camp gig turned into 3 weeks! I'm here by myself, surrounded by rednecks, the food sucks and in 2 days I will be celebrating my 30th birthday alone in a remote camp and I can't even have a god damned beer!

Guys the oil biz has been good to me and I hope its good to you if you decide to move to Alberta, but trust me, have an exit strategy, a 3-5 year plan to get the money and run because this remote job site lifestyle will take its toll on your head.

End of rant, I'm going to bed, peace.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-02-2012 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-02-2012 09:56 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM