Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
catalyst Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-03-2012 05:44 AM)BrownBear Wrote:  I'd really like some advice from people who've been in this industry. I'm 19 years old and fluent in russian and english, citizen of Russia. If I apply to a university I'd major in petroleum engineering, but I'm not sure if I could tolerate classwork for 4 years. Would it be in my best interest to apply for an apprenticeship or should I get my degree? I would have to start out as a leasehand>floorhand>motorhand> then I can apply for an apprenticeship?

It's quite hard to get into the apprentice program if you are foreigner in my opinion. I'd say take one of the 2 year programs at one of the institution that Scotian mentioned in this thread. The certificate includes a lot of on-job training. You should be equivalent to a 3rd year Apprentice by the time you are done, and know some people in your field who might sponsor you for apprenticeship in Alberta. Once you graduate you can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit even without any job offer. The work permit should be 2 to 3 years long.
10-03-2012 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes catalyst's post:
scotian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 10-03-2012 07:16 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM