Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Swanson Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Lots of great info in this thread, I've been following it for months. Good to see a lot of the guys taking the plunge and moving out there. I'm going to be combing through the thread again in the next few days and pulling out a lot of the great information, and have a long hard thought towards my future. I have a trade right now (tailor) but tbh, I'm not loving it the way I should for the amount of hours I work and the prospects for the future. I figure I could move out West and make in a year what I'd make in five at my current rate.

Leaning towards getting into electrician. I have a relative with experience that I could bounce questions off, and as Scotian mentioned a few times, it's a non-oilsands specific trade along with plumbing, welding, pipefitting, and others that can be performed in any city if you get tired of the sands. Probably work the 4 years as apprentice, another 3-5 as JM (not necessarily up north) and then start my own contracting biz around 30ish. Going to be huge demand everywhere for skilled guys. Intersperse that with traveling the world, maybe find a nice Chinese girl like Badwolf and settle down.

Anyways, good luck to everyone out there, anyone considering, and a big thank you to Scotian for starting and maintaining the thread for all this time.

Cheers.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 11:45 PM by Swanson.)
10-03-2012 11:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swanson's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Swanson - 10-03-2012 11:44 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM