Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Ecksie Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
23 Billion,

I had a dozen or so friends my first year of university that wanted to do exactly what your friend wants to do. Only 1 of them made it back into school--although it was 2 years later. The problem is he has been in university for 6 years since he "restarted" and hasn't finished yet. The problem, as I see it, is that most people spend money once they start making money. He took a year off to "save" and by the end of the first year, he had a new truck payment, MORE credit card debt and lots of other toys keeping him from quitting his job. Every time I see him, he tells me that he wishes he would have just stuck it out the first time he was in school.

If your friend is dedicated, he can work while in school. But university HAS to come first over any job he may get. I worked part time with a construction company and as a research assistant during college making no more than $10/hr at any given time. I landed a sweet job as a club bartender that allowed me to meet a lot of great people and even paid close to $20/hr after tips. It was an awesome job but I quit after a few weeks because I was sleeping through my 8am classes. I say, if he's truly dedicated to university, rack up those loans and pay them off after university when he's making $30+/hr as opposed to trying to 'save' right now at $10/hr.

Having said that, if he's not REALLY sold on university, there's nothing wrong with moving out here and finding a trade. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm really glad it's working out for so many. But don't believe that a university degree in engineering isn't valuable.

The bad news, in your buddies case, is that a single year doesn't usually mean much. The reality is that the first year of engineering serves to weed out most of those who won't make it so the 3rd and 4th year failure rate is very low. He could certainly move here and pick up a job--but his one year won't help him. If any way possible, tell him to stick it out for a second year and then, next february when all the companies here begin searching for their summer students, apply and work as much as he can. He would likely make as much in 3 months as an intern in Fort McMurray as he would all year at $10/hr. The best part of it is that, after he graduates, he will have a lot more opportunities due to his internships.

Another thing is this--if oil dips again, engineers are usually some of the last to be laid off.
10-06-2012 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ecksie - 10-06-2012 08:02 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM