Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
rudebwoy Away
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-06-2012 03:28 PM)scotian Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 02:44 PM)catalyst Wrote:  Haha. Probably still stuck with no tenure. I've never seen a young-ish Mathematics professor, most of them are in their late 40-50s. But I have to say its not getting better. I am seeing an increasing number of classmates who are in university doing a second bachelor degree (not referring to a professional bachelors degree such as education or law) due to a lack of job prospects. It's not a good sign.

Its crazy, every other day I read headlines in Canadian newspapers that read "Major labour shortage looming in Alberta and Saskatchewan" then on page two "dismal job prospects for university grads" and of course "university grads unable to pay off massive student loans".

It makes me want to bang my head against the wall, teachers and guidance counselors brainwash high school students into going to university, not matter what subject, so we have an abundance of BA grads with degrees in gender studies and basket weaving who flip burgers and work in retail. The trades are completely ignored and we're forced to look abroad for labour.

Its too bad so many young Canadians are such pussies, they'll whine and complain about how bad the job prospects are back east but don't have the balls to get on a plane and move out west and get their hands dirty.

Even if you don't want to work up north and live in a camp, there's plenty of work in the office towers of downtown Calgary and Edmonton for anyone willing to make the move.

If I was Prime Minister, I would make all those shitheads who can't pay off their government student loans get on an airplane and move to Hellberta for a few months to pay them off, same for all the welfare cheats and pogey scammers!

The Toronto papers always skirt around the issues of jobs, they talk nonsense about how many jobs were created. This of course is numbers they grab out of thin air.
Torontonians are snobs and yes pussies for the most part, Alberta might as well be Afghanistan to alot of people here. They would see a move like that as backwards, after all everyone moves to the center of the universe Tdot.
University costs are brutal here, one dude was telling me they charge $800 a year for him to park his car at school. WTF
With a trade you can never go hungry, but people here just want to work in an office and look important.
Brillant thread Scotian!!!

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
10-06-2012 06:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - rudebwoy - 10-06-2012 06:14 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM