Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-06-2012 08:28 PM)lavidaloca Wrote:  In fairness, there are trade offs. Trades require a lot of physical work. This often comes with injuries and long-term pain when you are older. It seems more probable to make 100k with a trade especially at a young age. However, the potential peak of someone with a useful university degree is potentially higher.

I agree, to an extent. If a guy spends his entire career "on the tools" in one of the more labour intensive trades such as scaffolding or iron work, wacking hammers and doing heavy lifts all day, sure, his body is going to be pretty beat up after 30-40 years.

However, you don't need to spend your entire career on the tools, a guy can easily become a foreman, a general foreman or superintendent. If a guy plays his cards right and wants to get out of the field, he can get an office job, usually after 5-10 years in the field.

Myself, I figure that at 30, I have at least another 5 years, if not 10. I don't mind the physical part for now, I'm in decent shape and I'd rather be outside (unless its -40) than in an office any day. However, I don't want to be crawling around pipe racks and going into pressure vessels's when I'm 40+, that's why I'm looking to go back to school, if need be, in the next few years to give me the option of making good money on a 40 hour work week and being home every night, instead of working away all the time.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-06-2012 10:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Aliblahba

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-06-2012 10:47 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM