Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-07-2012 01:32 AM)23Billion Wrote:  Hey Ecksie thanks for the reply man.

Hey man another question. I told my buddy about what you said. I basically copied it and emailed it to him.

He then asked me to ask you about the job prospects for his older cousin who has an Electronics Technician Diploma from college in Toronto, and an unfinished Bachelor of Technology from the same school with absolutely no experience. I was told that the guy could not find any job at all so he discontinued his degree. I think I met him once he was so down and he was also working in retail. He told me to post the list of his qualifications to you so you'd know since you're a technical guy. So that guy's qualifications are:

1) Bachelor of Technology - unfinished degree
2) Electronics Engineering Technician Diploma, completed but no experience
3) CCNNA = Cisco Certified Network Associate. i was told this was a hard to get thing but he didn't find a job either because there are no jobs in Ontario.
4) A+ certification.

The dude had to get any job he could find to pay bills and support his family. So I am told he didn't find any job in his field.

Would that guy be able to land any decent paying jobs?

This guy should be able to find something with his education alone, I worked with a guy (Kick currently works with him), who had a 2 year diploma in electric engineering from a college and an advanced degree in mathematics yet his only job experience was driving a taxi in Halifax. He finally decided to move out west at the age of 30 when his friend hooked him up with a job interview over the phone, he's been out here for 7 years now and is doing very well.

I'm a bit cautious about helping friends and family out now, unless they're young and fresh out of school. I tried getting some of my unemployed and under employed buddies to move out west, especially during the last boom, when literally companies were hurting so bad for employees anyone with a pulse could walk right into a 60K+ job off the street, often times way more.

The thing is that some people can't be helped, they either lack motivation or the balls to move away from friends and family and take a risk. I know a few guys who even paid for their friend's flight out west, gave them a room to live in and still some of these guys don't make it, they usually end up crashing on the sofa for a few weeks before moving back home, even more depressed than when they moved out.

All the same, if your buddy truly wants to work and is motivated, plenty of opportunity for him out here.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-07-2012 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-07-2012 11:23 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM