Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Irishman, I'd say you'll be fine as long as you stay focused on your goals, yes you'll be around some pretty rough characters and some of them will likely be doing drugs and drinking heavily after work (hopefully not while working) but no one is going to force it on you. You didn't travel all this way to get strung out on drugs and the use of them, even after work, increases the likelihood of a work place accident, something you definitely want to avoid.

Take it from me, it does get hard being away from friends, family and civilization for long periods of time. I'm on day 29 now and its Thanksgiving here in Canada, its hard, but I know that in 3 days I'll be getting the fuck out of here for the winter, so its not that bad, just keep your eyes on the prize.

Even if you get out there and realize that you don't like it, there are many other options for you in the oil biz, as you've already seen from some of the nice job offers you turned down for the drilling gig.

I wish I could have been there boozing with you guys this weekend sounds like it was a good time, I'm hoping to be down in Etown by the end of this week.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-08-2012 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
DjembaDjemba

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-08-2012 01:49 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM