Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
catalyst Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-08-2012 04:29 PM)alecks Wrote:  okay could one of you guys (scotian,djemba,irishman etc) explain this for me.

I want to start an apprenticeship in welding in alberta,planning on emigrating early 2013.I plan on taking a pre apprenticeship course there first (as scotian recommended).This is all starting from scratch now.Not an ounce of knowledge regarding welding but i will read a few books before-hand.

Now correct me if im wrong,but on the SAIT.CA site it says that "on the job training is provided by the employer and supervised by a journeyman".

then it says: "
What is an Apprentice?

An apprentice works on the job while he or she learns a trade. An apprentice has an apprenticeship contract with an employer that is registered with the Alberta government. An apprentice attends formal instruction. There are about 46,000 registered apprentices in Alberta at any one time".

From what im gathering here is that I get my ass over to calgary/edmonton walk into a company that specifies in welding and then ask them to sponsor me,pay for my fees etc whilst i learn the trade? am i understanding this correctly or how does it work?

Im slightly confused when it says PRE-apprenticeship training course.Is this a course before the actual apprenticeship course?

I am assuming you meant "emigrate", in the sense of attaining permanent residency? It is not that easy to immigrate to Canada, unless you graduated from a university or recognized institution and have at least 1 year work experience in Canada; have the needed skills in the province you want to settle, or have a truckload of money (CAD $500,000+++) to invest in a Canadian company. You might want to revise the date if that's your intention.

I think pre-apprenticeship merely means you get to pay for classes that is somewhat equivalent to your first year apprenticeship. And the classes/on-job training count towards the 1,500 hours to become a full-fledged journeyman. In most cases, it's helps to get a foot in the door and show the employer that you are actually serious about the job.

I am sure Scotian can elaborate more. Meanwhile, check out N.A.I.T. I think their welding course might be more elaborate and gets you more "tickets".
10-08-2012 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 10-08-2012 06:08 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM