Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I'm pretty sure that Zeus is right on this one, my trade isn't actually a provincial run apprenticeship, my certifications are issued by the federal government in Ottawa. Same idea, I have to go back to school every once in awhile to get more certs, I have a two week course coming up in Edmonton next week.

The pre-apprenticeship or pre-employment courses are designed to give a complete newbie a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in a specific trade before he gets on the job site. I would call SAIT or NAIT for further clarification, or the Alberta apprenticeship board. There's some good info on this site here: http://alis.alberta.ca/ep/eps/tips/tips.html?EK=183

Alecks, what country are you coming from? Catalyst is correct, it isn't easy to get into Canada and if you intend on going to school, you'll likely need to apply for a student visa, which may restrict your employment options after school as it isn't a work visa.

There are certain programmes set up for residents of the EU and commonwealth countries who are under 31, I listed them earlier on in this thread (maybe Irishman can elaborate on this), unfortunately if you're an American without a skill (trade or profession) it will be very hard to get in.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-08-2012 08:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-08-2012 08:15 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM