Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Ecksie Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-08-2012 01:21 PM)Irishman Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 11:38 PM)Ecksie Wrote:  I've had the opportunity of seeing the production/drilling side of the business as well and I can't recommend it. Sure, the coin is unbelievable as a rig consultant ($1500+/day) but it takes t least a decade of experience to get to that level..ive seen one guy who was younger but his brother, the petroleum engineer in charge of the drilling program, hired him. you'll make crazy cash even getting there--but the lifestyle isn't worth it. As a consultant, you're a contractor who will live on the Wellsite for months without break. As a contractor, labour laws don't apply and you can be forced to work 60 day stints. I've yet to meet one consultant, rig manager, or even driller than hasn't been sucked into spending a huge chunk of their money on booze, drugs, disgusting bush-hookers, and divorces. One of the drillers I met was close to 50--and paid 3 women alimony and two kids child support. He created a world where, although he pulled down 180k a year, he was always broke and rented a one bedroom condo in red deer when he wasn't working.

Petroleum engineers visit the drilling programs to see how the rigs are progressing-- but they are usually in the bush no more than 2 days. They also pull down 200k+.

Thanks for an insight into the drilling side of things but at the same time I find this really disheartening. I am going into drilling to build the life I want not to tear it apart. I hope I can avoid turning out like these guys. I think I should be able to since I am done with drugs, won't ever pay some bush hooker for sex and have a strong mindset and goals.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me on all sides though- dangerous work, long hours, disgusting camps and an industry that turns you into a burnt out old man. Challenging but then I knew it would be.

I am hoping to make directional driller by three years and consultant by five. On the flip side if all these drillers are drugged up and burnt out then it should not be too hard to compete with them for promotions/jobs. I am a good net worker, a hard worker and when I put my mind to it and focus on something I can learn very fast.

For people who have experience in the industry how hard has it been for you to avoid ending up like the people described above?

I really believe that having the mindsets and goals described on this forum should go a long way in not ending up like this. I plan on using my money somewhat wisely and hopefully being around the million mark by 30.

As for being a Petroleum engineer- is it possible to switch over from drilling? How does it work-hours, job, set-up, career ladder etc.

It sounds even better again and if its possible to switch over in a few years then perfect.

Also has anyone looked into masters in Petroleum based courses. I seen some ads for some in Edmonton but haven't looked into it too much. I plan on being in the oil industry for a good while so if it helps in the long run I would definitely look into it.

Irish, good to see you have your head on tight. The fact is, it's an incredibly tough life. I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything and just want you to be aware of the challenges you may face and the people you'll likely be around. Now, the great side of it is this....if you can keep your current perspective, you'll have a lot of options in a few years. Petroleum engineer isn't out of the question but you would almost have to have some serious schooling. A petroleum engineer in charge of a drilling program may have 5 rigs going at once. If there are concerns about how the reservoir is flowing, he may fly in to meet and make adjustments to the program but otherwise, s/he lives and works out of Calgary. I really considered going back to university to get my masters in petroleum engineering last year.

If your goal is to make consultant--put in the time and you'll climb the rig ladder fast. 3 years seems possible but it will take a LOT of dedication and hours. What I was told is that becoming a driller takes a while but at that point, you just need to write a fairly simple test and set yourself up with liability insurance to become consultant. FYI, as a consultant, you are the one liable if something happens on your Wellsite. The wells integrity and your people's safety is your responsibility and it's not to be taken lightly. That being said, you'll easily clear 200k when times are good.
10-10-2012 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ecksie's post:
Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ecksie - 10-10-2012 12:07 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM