Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
catalyst Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-09-2012 11:34 PM)pitt Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 11:14 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  Pitt,
I'm open to anything however, I'd rather stay away from the rig as I've heard some truly shocking stories by guys who are staying in my hotel about drilling jobs and what the lease hand guys (newbies) go through and the hell they're put through by the more senior guys. I'd rather focus on a technical field, which is less of physically demanding and more of technical/intellectual type of jobs.

Care to share these shocking stories? Because i am planning to find a drilling job, im just wondering how bad it can be.

One of my friend's older brother has been working the rig for a couple of years. According to my friend, if you are new on the rigs, you are basically pretty effed for a while. It's almost like hazing, except worse.

Personally, I can deal with cold, away from family (15 months and counting), lack of pussy, and even racists. But not a big fan of hazing here. I went through basic 7 years ago, I have no intention of going through another hazing ritual if I can help it.

If I have any hesitation, it's shit like this. If you guys can share some of your experience on this matter (just isolated to the rigs or rather widespread..), that would be good.
10-10-2012 12:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - catalyst - 10-10-2012 12:55 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM