Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(10-11-2012 06:54 PM)Kdog Wrote:  Another good thing to get into is driving the mining trucks (heavy haul truck) at the various oil sands mines north of Fort Mac and Kearl Lake etc. You dont need a class 1 or class 3 license. I am trying to get on doing this as it would be pretty interesting driving the biggest truck in the world. My brothers friend does it for Suncor, its 6 days on 6 days off (3 days, 3 nights). The only shit thing is that Suncor wants you to live in Fort Mac so you would have to find a place to rent. Though you can also do what my bros friend does and take other peoples shifts and just work straight for a few months at a time. He raked in around 150K gross last year. Pretty nuts for not needing a trade. Other big projects includethe Syncrude, & the Kearl Lake area. Companies like Imperial Oil, KMC mining, Keiwit and other contractors do the hiring for that. Imperial Oil seems to have a sweet set up. 10 days on 10 days off, camp included and flights from the site to Calgary/Edmonton. Around $3500++ gross bi-weekly unless you choose to do more overtime. Another good thing about this job is that there is also a demand for it in B.C... as well as in Australia! (Better weather, only 9 hour flight from Thailand razz ) There is a program for this at the local Keyano College in Fort Mac. Its about 6k for a month but there is apparently a job placement program afterwards. Not sure of the waiting list situation though. As you can see I have done my research and hopefully will be doing this in the near future.

One of the bigger companies running those huge trucks you're writing about is North American Construction Group, I"m pretty sure the operators are members of the International Union of Operating Engineers, local 955 (http://www.oe955.com/). Last guy I spoke to who runs heavy equipment tried to join and there was a waiting list of over 1000 people.

As with any of these on-site, oil sands positions that pay big money for unskilled labour, they have long waiting lists to get into or are usually filled by relatives or "friends of friends". Better to take some kind of pre-employment program, but still apply to the unskilled positions, you may "luck out".

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
10-13-2012 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Ferro

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 10-13-2012 06:39 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM