Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Alright guys took me a while to get an update going but I have been super busy and don't like using my phone for a long post.

So I am keeping well and happy out. Partying a nice bit and getting to know Edmonton. Have been hanging out with Kick, Scotian and VP whenever I can. DjembaDjemba is always working so have only meet him once but he is great fun plus I have got a few PMs about other guys arriving very soon.

As for work I am still with the landscape crew. The drilling crowd said that I will be joining around Dec 1st. Its a little set back but gives me more time to prepare and have some fun before I am working hard. It has started to get cold again. Little bits of snow most days and its harder to work and stay warm. Plus this is only the beginning of it. So the plan right now is keep working with my crew till I get called up drilling. Then take it from there.

I have settled in nicely and if I had more money would be having an epic time. The job I am at now pays 19 an hour which is good but I like to drink and eat well so it goes fast enough haha. Once I am on drilling dollars I will be setting up the lifestyle a bit with a new flat, truck etc.

As for anyone coming out I definitely still recommend it. Just be prepared. Read this whole tread and take notes. Have a plan and do your homework. Stay focused once you arrive and get ANY job as soon as possible. If you are motivated you will make it and if you are not you probably shouldn't come out here.

There is a load of opportunities and plenty of jobs and it is easy to move to a nicer job once you are here and settled in.

Looking forward to getting up there and posting about what the drilling is like first hand. I am constantly trying to gear myself up for when I am starting. Sometimes at work I even do the harder work on purpose so I in as good as shape physically as possible. To be honest I love the challenge of it all and think that the whole thing will make me more of a man and put a few extra hairs on my chest.

Looking forward to seeing some more people heading this way.

Irishman
10-25-2012 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Atlantic's post:
pitt, scotian, Vacancier Permanent, JofSuperman, dk902, Jae, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 10-25-2012 05:57 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM