Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-02-2012 01:42 PM)christpuncher Wrote:  Just to give any engineers an idea of what to expect if you're considering the oil sands:

I'm starting work in January (right out of university) at one of the major producers in fort mac. Salary is 91k, plus additional 6-8k in safety bonus, plus a 20% (18k) annual bonus based on a 3 year contract, plus company funded pension and 2 company matching savings programs, plus 6 weeks vacation, PLUS 30k signing bonus right now (based on 3 year contract) plus 200-400 hours overtime expected (15-30k extra)

Full compensation works out to about 115-120k + overtime.

This is standard 40hr/week job, and they bus you from your house to work everyday (for free) in a coach bus with internet.

Nice, not too bad for a guy fresh out of school! Will you be living in Fort McMurray? If so, is the company providing a work truck or will you be taking the bus to work?

I know that a lot of the sites now have implemented a bus only transport rule for a lot of employees to cut down on the terrible traffic jams in town. Not a huge deal but it is kind of funny seeing all these grown adults waiting for the buses every morning.

Here's the company that does all the bus runs in Fort McMurray: http://www.dtl.ca/ , its actually not a bad place to work either, I think drivers make around $35-40/hour.

Again, congratulations and good luck in Fort McMoney!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-02-2012 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-02-2012 01:49 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM