Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-02-2012 03:16 PM)Zeus Wrote:  How I got my job:

Basics: I hit the pavement hard.

FIrst thing I did was go to the union. They were very helpful and excited that I wanted to work in the trade. They gave me names of at least 5 companies they heard or knew that were hiring. They even gave me their cell numbers to call them if it didn't work out and he said "we'll get you in the trade" A good thing to hear after landing the day before.

I hit those companies. Roadblocks. Some of them want a Pre-apprenticeship. Bullshit. Fuck you.

Others wanted you already indentured. Well, everyone had to START not indentured so how the fuck am I going to get indentured if you don't do it.

I took H2S Alive course on a Monday. The guy behind me just got licenses in my trade. I asked him for some leads and advice. The thing he said and everyone before I talked to was DON'T STOP. Basically harass people. Get in their face.

In the meantime I was Googling like hell. Getting company names, adresses, who is hiring and plotting it on a Google Map. I had over 20 companies littered throughout the city. I would hit those companies, call more in between.

Last Thursday and Friday I took Standard First Aid. We had to pair up and I turn behind me and just nod to the guy. As we start, he asks me what I do. "I'm looking for an apprenticeship in this trade." He says "No shit. I'm a 4th year" I just left this company here. Go talk to this guy. He usually hires starters."

I google him. See that he likes fishing and get a loose dialogue of how to connect. I go there, ask the receptionist for him and as soon as he comes out I ask him for a start. Insta interview. Offers it to me and says think it over and call me tonight to comfirm.

I knew right away I wanted it, but played cool. I call him and he doesn't call me back. Right after I get a call from someone else offering me a job. I accept and was suposed to start Monday. Today, the first guy calls me and asks me to start Monday. And this was on top of other positions that if I really pursued I would have also got.

He is going to indenture me and its in the sub trade that I want.

Guys, it's just networking. Everyone will help you. You'll get bounced here to there. Get excited at a lead, get a flake. etc. Then it pours in. I had a resume in my hand everytime.

I didn't expect it this fast.

Cool man, just out of curiosity, do you have a car there in Calgary for getting around to hand out resumes, go to courses, interviews, etc.?

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-02-2012 05:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-02-2012 05:37 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM