Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-09-2012 12:10 AM)christpuncher Wrote:  Man I envy the blue collar fort mac guys. You can hop around job to job company to company. Take 6 months off and come back and just keep going. Engineering is great, but the "career" and "professional advancement" are not structured so that you can work your ass off for a while and then take all winter off.
If I had to do it again I'd have hopped on the bus out west when I was 18 and become a welder. I'd be a welding inspector or manager by now (age 25) making 250-300k and spending a few months a year traveling the world!

That's probably the only advantage that use trades guys have over engineers is the ability to to screw off and come back as we please, however our jobs are a less secure and we never really know if there will be one waiting for us when we come back. Its all good now but in 10-15 years when I'm in my 40's I definitely don't want to be crawling around pipe racks and inside boilers.

If you want to get out of engineering or into a trade, whats stopping you?

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-10-2012 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-10-2012 10:33 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM