Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
celticman Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey guys, firstly can I just say a big thank you to Scotian, Irishman, DjembaDjemba and everyone other contributor to this fantastic thread. I was recently advised by a friend to take a look and have been amazed to discover the opportunities in the oilsands, if you are prepared for hard work and more than a few sacrifices!

I am a twenty eight year old Irish man desperately seeking the means to a more comfortable future life and having found this thread, I am extremely eager to make the move ASAP. My back-round is in construction, although I have no official trade, I would consider myself accomplished in the forming and finishing of anything concrete. I also have experience in demolition and to a lesser extent scaffolding.

I am hopeful of gaining a visa through the International Experience Canada programme in January, so from now until then I want to gather as much further information as possible and would be extremely grateful for any advice and opinions on what the best route forward is, especially what line of work to go for. I suppose like many others I am looking for reassurance that there is well paid work available for those prepared for hard graft. I'm fortunate enough to still have employment in Ireland but the current economic climate means wages are terrible and future prospects bleak. It would be great to actually get well rewarded for hard work as opposed to struggling through on a meagre wage and having little/nothing to show for it!

Hopefully some of you guys can give me a little information or encouragement about how to best pursue my aims. I would quite like to continue in either scaffolding or another construction sector but would like to know how the wages compare. I think the IEC visa is only valid for two years so if that is the case, my aim would be to work like crazy and enjoy the benefits after. Would also be grateful if anyone knows if employers are keen to extend visas or help with the process if they think an employee is valuable or loyal?? I know its a long way down the road but I'm just curious!

Anyway, thanks once again to everyone involved and appreciate you taking the time out to read my post. Go raibh maith agaibh!
11-12-2012 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like celticman's post:
scotian, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - celticman - 11-12-2012 06:15 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM