Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
xmlenigma Offline
Pelican

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-12-2012 07:36 PM)scotian Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 04:47 PM)calihunter Wrote:  Would love to get there by spring/summer if my other project does not lift off by then. Looking at taking either welding or PLC programming full time by then. What is your opinion of PLC programming working out as a path to oil fields either there or in ND?

One of my best friends from home is a PLC programmer based out of Calgary and he does very well for himself, he works as a self contractor. He's pretty much always busy and back in 08' he worked in Argentina off and on for almost two years, his day rate was $1800, he makes less now that he has a family and 40/week office job downtown but is still doing well.

I can't really say how busy it is for those guys because I don't often run into them, my friend is the only PLC guy I know but he does well and often has to turn down work. There's a lot of automation in any oil and gas operation from the fabrication stage to production, I imagine there's a good demand for it in ND as well at things likes rigs, pipe lines, pump stations up until the refineries.

Scotian - Thanks for posting. I'd love more insights from your friend on such opportunities in Latin America and other places. PLC, Information/ data management / IT related stuff with such high pay rates?

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63
11-17-2012 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - xmlenigma - 11-17-2012 09:06 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM