Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
r_passion Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Here is some info regarding immigration options for those who can't get IEC or want to stay on after their IEC working holiday.

The PNP program is a good option for those with certification that is recognised in Alberta and/or those with job offer already sorted out.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration.../ainp.aspx

The general idea is that you get a temporary work permit to work the offered job while you wait for CIC to process your application (almost 2 years).

Those with trades should look up there number on the following website to get the 4 digit number and use that number to enquire on the PNP website to see if they are good to go.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/...lcome.aspx

There is a lot of info to comb through there but for AB the options are basically employer driven or trade driven. There is an obligation to attempt to settle in the Province (legally this means landing in Alberta and declaring your intent to the border guard when the time comes) but as this is the province where all the bitumen is it's not really an issue for those that wish to get their 6 figures in 6 months.

If you don't have trade certification and are willing to play a long run strategy then get it in your home country or during your working holiday and make sure Alberta recognises it. They will have you if you are willing to come over and contribute to the economy (read:pay taxes for a lifetime).

This is by no means the only option there are federal schemes and family schemes but currently the Federal Skilled Worker category is collapsed with an insane backlog.

Hit me up if you have any questions. I am a PNP nominee myself for BC.
11-18-2012 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like r_passion's post:
scotian, Lux Interior

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - r_passion - 11-18-2012 03:33 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM