Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
brownman Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Sorry I haven't been able to update you guys. It's been 2 weeks since I've been here. Got all my safety tickets done, explored the city and have begun applying both online and in person. Haven't met any of the other guys yet. Thoughts so far:

For trades and gigs around Alberta, check out Nisku, pretty much everyone I met said there is work there. Just drop an application, getting there is the hard part. You really need a car, otherwise its pretty inconvenient with the bus. The labourers union is pretty swamped, those guys are moving into carpentry and scaffolding.There are 2 major projects opening up nearby, Shell is one of them. There will be a demand in Spring. Most people try to stay in the area, if you are willing to travel it opens up doors. I was advised to look into safety too, though from the stories I heard, those guys have to take a lot of crap.

For white collar gigs, they hire mostly out of Calgary and have experienced guys. I got in touch with a few bankers and they have a more somber view of the Albertan economy. If you are looking for sales, there are some options, mostly industrial equipment with a focus on Saskatchewan.

I've met quite a few people who've moved here, mainly BC but some lovely Ontario women too. Quite a few Irish guys in my classes. Ive been living with relatives and have had to lay low, there is a push amongst the south Asian community to get people here, this place won't be the same in a few years. West Edmonton Mall has some prime day game choice, I haven't dabbled much and have wussed out on some clear options. I cant speak for the nightlife though.

For younger cats, look into the technical colleges, if you have an engineering background, sometimes you won't find work. I strongly advise you to take a technologist course, lose the engineering ego. You can do the program in an accelerated format within a year by skipping courses. One kid I met, as an electrical engineer couldn't find work, did instrumentation technology and is raking in 11k a month now. Hasn't been home in 3 months, always travelling.

I'll keep you boys posted on my progress.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 11:45 PM by brownman.)
11-18-2012 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like brownman's post:
scotian, Vacancier Permanent, DjembaDjemba, Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - brownman - 11-18-2012 11:42 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM