Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-21-2012 01:49 AM)Nima Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 11:17 PM)Zeus Wrote:  
(11-20-2012 09:41 PM)Nima Wrote:  I had a level 3 Occupational First Aid certificate (highest level). It's now expired. ...I want to have a first aid ticket of some sort before going to Alberta, do you think this is overkill? This is equivalent to something similar in Alberta, but I don't know what exactly. I believe in Alberta you have "advanced first aid." Do you have any idea about this?

I wouldn't mind getting recertified if I can use it somehow in Alberta. I can make up the cost by using the ticket here before moving to Alberta.

If you want to get in a skilled trade, all you need is standars first aid. Cost is ~ $140 and 2 days of your time.
Thanks for the reply

I'm going to Calgary first to take a course. In the meantime I will be doing random jobs. Here in Vancouver an OFA level 3 certificate (equal to advanced first aid in Alberta) will get you a nice 5-6 dollar pay increase (to work as a labourer/first aid attendant on construction sites). Does the advanced first aid certificate in Alberta allow you to work as a first aid attendant?

I'm not sure about that, better to directly contact some safety companies such as United Safety (http://www.unitedsafety.net/) or HSE Integrated (http://www.hseintegrated.com/), or the safety departments of the many contractors I listed in the thread.

Also, have you looked into work in BC? There's lots of jobs in the NE in such lovely places as Fort St.John and Fort Nelson, offering Fly in/out from Van city. If your certs aren't recognized in AB, then that may be the way to go if you want to go the EMT or first aid route.

If you're looking to get into a trade, then sure your first-aid training wouldn't hurt but it won't help all that much, one of those things that is nice to have on a resume but won't be a primary reason why you'll get hired.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-21-2012 02:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Nima

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-21-2012 02:08 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM