Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Virtus Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-22-2012 08:27 PM)Zeus Wrote:  
(11-21-2012 02:10 AM)scotian Wrote:  Hey Zeus how is Cowtown treating you? Have you started working in your trade yet? Details please!

Scotian,

Cowtown is great so far. I never realised how cunty Toronto women are until I came here and 8's and 9's will openly just talk to you. And they're not fat.

I fucking hate the cold. Enough said.

I have my apprenticeship. I am filling out my papers now and waiting for my "blue book" It's great. Learning fast and I have the best boss. He comes in the the shop and yells at the top of his lungs "SICK TITTIES!!!" just for the hell of it. We got talking yesterday and he said exactly what you've been saying. If you're good, companies will pay you basically whatever you want to babysit sites. Sitting there doing nothing just for a little insurance. I expect to make over $125K by 3rd year.

I build these PLC Panels

(11-22-2012 06:57 PM)Irishman Wrote:  Keep knocking and someone will answer

Truth

Thank you! I have a couple questions mostly for the sole reason is that I don't know what I don't know.

the things that I do want to ask

I am not an electrician or a tradesman. Worked with computer networks / servers for last 17 years but also worked in other office / sales positions. So no certs there, but am super technically minded. the go to person for anything technical in any office I am involved with. Would just getting the plc certification or training be enough or would I need an electronics / electrical technician training or an electrical ticket would be the training needed

1) are there quite a few jobs that could be done still with some PLC training / certificate
2) if I train by myself (books / videos / home setup) are there chances of getting those jobs

would having a CDL be of any benefit if I am not planning on being a trucker but would rather be in PCL

and another question ..

as a network computer admin/technician (wife/wan/lan/pc/mac) are there any positions that earn comparable pay to what you guys do?

thank you so much

"Virtus"
11-27-2012 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Virtus - 11-27-2012 06:27 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM