Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(11-29-2012 01:42 PM)brownman Wrote:  I ventured out to Nisku yesterday to drop my CV off, hard to navigate the place without a car. The job search was refreshingly straightforward, some offered an interview on the spot – I was asked about a class 5 licenses and couldn't get it on that basis. Getting a license here opens doors; make sure you get it done when you arrive alongside your safety tickets.

No luck on camp gigs, one place called 3 hours later offering me a testing/labor gig – it was a letdown due to logistics. I've been looking into drilling, welding and pipe-fitting as possible options. Lots of jobs for welders and pipe-fitters around that area. Most places said they'd be hiring mid-December. Scotian, both the Redwater and Fort Sask. plants will be hiring for spring; lots of options on the websites too.

Started going to the gym again and it's definitely helped me focus better. For pipe-lining, try out the one week trials offered at most gyms. Show up at a fitness class, some have decent talent. It's probably good for those off weeks on rotations since you have less time to day game.

You don't have a driver's license? If not, get it ASAP.

Guys, its not impossible to find a job without one but it makes your CV a lot less attractive to potential employers, especially if you are unskilled.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
11-29-2012 08:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 11-29-2012 08:46 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM