Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-06-2012 11:34 AM)pitt Wrote:  I finally spoke to the welding team.

They told me that welding is a compulsory trade. In order for me to work in Canada, i will need to have 54 months experience as a welder and that they consider you a welder based on your length of experience and not on your qualifications.So if i was to take a level 1 or level 2 qualification in welding in the UK, they wouldnt even consider it.

They also told me that i can only do an apprenticeship program in welding if i am a canadian resident or if i have a canadian citizenship. They recommended me to do something else when i arrive in Alberta.

I am confused now, welding was probably the only trade i was excited to work.

Pitt that is shitty news but there may be ways around this although you'll have to do some more research and digging.

One possibility would be to get over to Canada and get a job as a welder's helper which is a position that all apprentices begin as and I would recommend anyway before taking any type of welding course to see if you like it. You would obtain hours that your employer could track, you'd also learn the ins and outs of welding.

Do this for a year or two and have the company sponsor you to become a permanent resident and once you get that, you could apply to the apprenticeship board and use your accumulated hours to challenge the second or third year welding block.

Maybe some of the other British guys on here can chip in, I don't know why the Canadian government throws up so many road blocks to young, ambitious people from other countries who want to work and better their lives and contribute to our economy.

On the other hand, you could fly to Mogadishu, find the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy and go in a yell "durka, durka, durka" and claim refugee status, pretend to be completely illiterate and unskilled and especially don't let on that you speak English. They will probably put you on a one way flight directly to Edmonton or Fort Mac and you will have all of the Canadian government assistance you could dream of!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-06-2012 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Ferro, Jae

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-06-2012 12:11 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM