Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
salmonfella Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-07-2012 04:48 PM)scotian Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 01:33 PM)salmonfella Wrote:  i am in the same boat guy was an apprentice electrician in Ireland for 3 years and 6 months got let go due to the rescission no fault of my own short 6 months to get my Irish cert contacted all the provinces in Canada and the ones that repiled back said without my cert i didn't have a chance and that it was illegal to work in the electrical trade without the proper paperwork which is fair enough. when i asked if i could get my time counted and maybe start as a 4th year apprentice and work to get recognized that way they said the same that i needed to be a per-meant residence. its just so annoying because there's so much work for apprentices in Canada and not a thing for us in Ireland dosnt make sense.i have 5 years experiance in the electrical game in total.if anyone had any advice for me if would be great.. i plan on going to Calgary in march and getting working in the oil sands as a labour as i am use to working long hours and in the industrial game..thanks rossIdea

Well this news isn't very encouraging and seems to confirm what Pitt has found out, that Canada won't recognize your apprentice hours or overseas training. You're probably better off getting those hours in your country and obtaining your full qualifications before heading over, if its possible.

Although its a pain in the ass, I don't want you guys or anyone else reading this to become too discouraged, Canada still needs you and you guys have to think of the big picture. Even if you do come over here and start out at the bottom of the barrel and work as a first year electrical apprentice, its still pretty good. You'll start out at a decent wage, have an ample amount of work (sometimes too much!) and within four years, you'll achieve journeyman status. Hopefully you'll all decide to stay here long term and immigrate to Canada, again, we need hard working people like you guys and us Canadians generally welcome you with open arms.

Again, don't get too discouraged and think of the long term, big picture.

Oh i get ya man ya see how i get my cert now is wait. the irish goverment have come up with a skills test to help lads like myself but theres a huge waiting list..so iam gonna make my way over hopefully in march and try get a job in fort mac doing labour work i have read the thaw should be starting round then and work will be picking up? thats my plan anyway arrive in calgary and hit the ball running to all them big comapanys and might pop up to nisku too.hopefully iwill pick up a bit of workSmile
12-07-2012 05:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - salmonfella - 12-07-2012 05:18 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM