Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-10-2012 11:22 PM)Ecksie Wrote:  Rodman,

Project Managers typically are based out of Edmonton/Calgary but site visits are usually required. Every company works their salaries a little differently. Most, however, generally pay a base salary when you aren't assigned to a project and then an overtime/location uplift based on your project location and work schedule. If you are required on site full time, expect a sweet uplift. Just to throw some numbers at you: one of my peers is on a 14/7 rotation (10 hr days) in Fort Mac and will clear $225k this year. I'm based in the city and work up to 55 hours per week. I'm on track to just barely squeeze out $200k.

I will say this--there's a huge demand for our skillset but there's also a lot of pressure to perform. Have a few projects go sideways on you and youll develop an ugly reputation in a hurry.

It's been the best career decision I ever made.

Great advice Ecksie, those ugly reputations don't only follow managers around, it can happen in the trades too. There's quite a few guys working up in Fort Mac who aren't there by choice, they've burnt every bridge they had in their home towns (and often others) and are only in the Mac because employers get so desperate for workers there. Unfortunately, I've worked with a few of these guys, its brutal!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-11-2012 03:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-11-2012 03:11 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM