Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Guys finished the week on the rigs as a leasehand and on my second night as an MWD Drilling Engineer with another company already. I have steady work till Christmas on this one particular job and many more jobs afterwards. The job consists of doing up reports on the drilling tools and is easy enough work but requires a certain applitude for maths and computers.

Start out at around 14k a month and my trainer reckons I will be on over a 1000 a day in about 1-2.5 years depending on how quick I learn. He makes over 200k a year and has over 100 days off each year too. Plus he is only 30.

Don't get too much time these days to respond to PMs and to be honest nearly all of the questions I get have been answered several times through this tread. Just book your visa, save up some cash and move out here with the right attitude and a bit of research. It really is that easy.

Working on the rig is very well paid if you don't mind the hard work and mental stress that goes with it. As you move up the ladder to being a driller the pay increases along with the respect given to you. Although it is always dangerous and hard work.

If you are interested in becoming an MWD hopefully you have a degree or technical course done and you can easily do some research on google. Its a comfy job with really good pay.

As far as PMS I have recieved - do your research- all your questions are answered on this tread and by a quick google search. I can't believe Scotian replies to so many and with so much information. I hope people realise how lucky they are for the amount of time and info he gives them.

Best of luck everyone
12-11-2012 03:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Atlantic's post:
Vacancier Permanent, scotian, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 12-11-2012 03:31 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM