Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-11-2012 08:37 AM)pitt Wrote:  Irishman just few questions:

Did you have to buy your own truck? So you didnt find the drilling work to be that hard as everybody was saying?

Do you think your degree is having an influence on your success there?

Fuck, 14k per month sounds good as fuck, i would work like a slave for that kind of money haha.

I am glad shit has worked for you.

Hey Pitt,

Technically I didn't have to have my own truck to start as a leasehand but I waited close to 2 months for a fly in job and never got one. Once I had the truck I was going up to work the next day. It helps a lot. Its not a huge expense though. I picked up a truck for 500 and insurance for 77 a month. Pretty cheap.

The leasehand is hard alright but it is manageable. I was actually feeling pretty good by the end of the week. It is a good work out. You just need to be able to handle stress well and not panic or crack cause you get tested a lot by the conditions -weather, the drilling crew, work pace, long hours etc.

As for this new job, it is physically very easy. Played two hours of RISK online last night. It is nearly hard to stay awake you are doing so little.

It didn't matter too much having a degree for becoming a leasehand but it definitely got me this job. But if you don't I wouldn't worry about it. Bump up your work exp. heaps - no one is going to check. Plus a little exp. in something similar goes a long way here. I worked hard to get this job, researching the company, the position, the people who interviewed me- everything. Nailed the interview and am doing well so far. I think it helps to know what you want and narrow your focus. There is so many options out here you can waste a lot of energy and time if you don't know exactly what you want. That is the first thing I would start with.

Happy to help man, if you have anymore questions post them up here. I am not answering any PMs about the oil fields since it should be kept on this tread for everyone to see.
12-11-2012 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Atlantic's post:
Vacancier Permanent, pitt

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 12-11-2012 09:13 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM