Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
ilove Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Scotian,

Thanks for this very helpful thread. I'm ready to move to AB in the new year. I have no trade background whatsoever. I'm interested in becoming an electrician. I've perused this thread for a good couple months and spent countless hours researching elsewhere. What I don't understand is this. Most companies are looking for apprentices who are "indentured" or "registered". But you can't get indentured or registered without having a company sponsor you. That sounds like circular logic. Am I missing something here? What does a guy in a situation like myself, should do to get into the field?

The only route I can see is going through pre-apprenticeship courses at a college, which is something I am not willing to embrace. After all, if you get a company to indenture you, they will pay for your school right?

I'd appreciate some info on this.

Thanks again.
12-12-2012 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ilove - 12-12-2012 12:14 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM