Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
For all of you guy's reading this who are having doubts about moving to Alberta, especially Canadians, just re-read the thread and especially look at what Irishman has done. He moved all the way from Ireland with a goal in mind and in the past couple of weeks its pretty much happened, things weren't always easy but he had realistic goals, determination and a positive attitude.

He also got me really hammered on Jager-bombs in Etown one night, so I have a very good impression of the guy.

I think he did it the right way, which was coming to Alberta and doing the following:
-Found a place to live soon after arriving, a room to rent in a house.

-Found a job to hold him over until something better came along, sure it was hard work and the pay wasn't huge, but it paid the bills and he was able to "have a life" in Edmonton.

-Wasn't in too much of a rush to get up north, actually this may not have been by choice as the rigs didn't pick up until recently. But I think that spending a solid 2-3 months in whatever you city you pick is a good thing so you get to enjoy the city a bit.

-Made friends in Edmonton and has a social circle, which includes a very cute waitress from a bar on Whyte Ave. This is priceless, having a girl waiting for you when you come off rotation, you don't want to be one of those guys wasting time and money in peeler bars on your days off, or worse, frequenting the city's seedy rub and tugs.

-BOUGHT A VEHICLE, even if it was a beater, the truck got him a job.

So again, guys, there isn't too much I can add to the thread that hasn't been said before although I will continue answering questions on here and I look forward to hearing from more of you guys about how your Alberta experiences are panning out.

Also, if you go back to the early pages I was going on about how last spring was going to be a busy shut down season, well it looks like this year will be similar. I know Suncor base plant is shutting down sometime around late February 90 days and Syncrude has one too.

So all of you guys thinking about making the move, March/April would be a great time to do so, good luck guys.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-12-2012 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like scotian's post:
Ferro, Atlantic, Vacancier Permanent, pitt

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-12-2012 10:27 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM