Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-13-2012 12:55 AM)Ferro Wrote:  I managed to secure a gateway job to an electrician's apprentice position on Monday with one of the contractors listed in this thread, after just 5 days of being in Calgary. Including benefits, the 2 week on 1 off rotation should net around $100k per year, and it is only a helper job, not even an actual starter position. Everything scotian (and other great contributers) wrote here is worth its weight in gold. The only problem is it doesn't start till mid-January.

I am eager to do something other than blowing all my money in Banff in the meantime, so I am off to find a 4x4 vehicle with winter tires then drive up and look for a quick rotation directly in Ft Mac. If I can't find anything then Banff it is.

Thank you all very much. I will add relevant updates as they come.

Awesome! After just 5 days, wow. I'm assuming you took some pre-apprenticeship courses in order for you to land that, or did you have experience beforehand? If you don't mind sharing, which contractor ended up hiring you?

I'm looking to be an electrician as well but I plan to make the move in Feb. Hoping i can find something just as quick as you did.
12-13-2012 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Albertron's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 12-13-2012 08:49 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM