Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-13-2012 12:55 AM)Ferro Wrote:  I managed to secure a gateway job to an electrician's apprentice position on Monday with one of the contractors listed in this thread, after just 5 days of being in Calgary. Including benefits, the 2 week on 1 off rotation should net around $100k per year, and it is only a helper job, not even an actual starter position. Everything scotian (and other great contributers) wrote here is worth its weight in gold. The only problem is it doesn't start till mid-January.

I am eager to do something other than blowing all my money in Banff in the meantime, so I am off to find a 4x4 vehicle with winter tires then drive up and look for a quick rotation directly in Ft Mac. If I can't find anything then Banff it is.

Thank you all very much. I will add relevant updates as they come.

Good stuff Ferro. Looks like you followed the Scotian Steps to Success and now you are sorted. I highly recommened not blowing all your money and keep hustling. One lesson that I have learned is that hidden expenses can come out of nowhere (truck breaking down, not getting paid for a month after you start etc. ) so I would keep busy till you start and try find another way in the meantime of making some more quick cash. If you can get one rotation or some temp work even I would take it for sure. Plenty of time to party in the off season so make the most of winter while it is busy. I have found it hard myself- I am constantly tempted to go drinking or snowboarding. Best of luck man and again- well done.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:50 PM by Atlantic.)
12-13-2012 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Atlantic's post:
Ferro, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 12-13-2012 10:48 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM