Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-12-2012 09:22 PM)BadWolf Wrote:  China is about to flood the oil sands with low paid trades and workers, 3000 this year alone. Opinions?

I think this is the end of $$$ at the oil sands and the Canadian economy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/20...enney.html

say goodbye to your jobs unless you like working for $10/hour

I have no problem with Chinese workers coming to Canada for a better life and to improve their futures, they're been coming here since the 19th century so its not like its anything new.

Its actually better for Canada that these tradesmen come here as permanent immigrants as opposed to TFW (Temporary Foreign Workers) because they will likely bring their families over and have kids, buy houses, pay taxes and make a positive contribution to the Canadian economy. Unlike TFWs who come here for a year or two, make a bunch of money then send it all home, which is a lot less beneficial to Canada.

We'll see what impact it has on wages, this scenario has already played out and it was bad press for the companies involved, I posted about this before but back in 06', two Chinese contractors were killed at CNRL's Horizon site, a few more were injured. It was later revealed that none of them spoke English and all were paid $6/hour by a Chinese engineering firm owned by their government. Cheap labour and cheap materials (shitty Romanian steel) were likely the reasons that place blew up back in January 2011, I made a killing in the subsequent nine month shut down that followed, I make money when shit blows up.

Also, not all of those Chinese workers will be going directly to the oil sands, many will go to coal mines in BC and other places across the country.

For too long Canada accepted unskilled, illiterate refugees who by and large are a drain on our social services, we also accepted under the "family reunification programme" the parents and grand parents of working age immigrants who never contributed to government coffers yet are entitled to health care and other benefits, again a net drain.

Anyway, now the federal government is putting more emphasis on skilled workers to address out labour shortages and less on people with skills we don't need, from the article" 'It was easier under the points system to get in if you had a post-doctorate degree in ancient Greek pottery as opposed to somebody who has 20 years experience as a welder or an electrician.'

If you're anti-immigrant then you have two groups of people to blame:

-Your fellow Canadians for not having families and enough children to support our pyramid scheme social welfare state, this includes me although I plan on having kids someday, just not in Canada for various reasons which we all bitch about here on the Rooshvforum.

-Canadian society for denigrating trades type work and convincing a generation of young people that the only way to be successful in life is to go to uni even if its a worthless degree such as a BA in feminist studies and basket weaving. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore and you're considered a loser if you don't work 40 hours a week glued to a computer in an office.

I'm a realist and therefore pro-immigrant, I also support the Canadian government's actions to ensure we take in immigrants who will benefit our society and not mooch off of it.

I also highly doubt that I'll be making $10 ever again in my lifetime.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-15-2012 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
Nima, Vacancier Permanent, solo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-15-2012 07:11 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
<