Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-13-2012 01:36 AM)Habsguy Wrote:  I guess as Scotian mentioned i'll wait until mid January to make the move since it's slow by the end of December and the first 2 weeks of January ,also the aiplane tickets are twice more expensive this month
I'm trying to get any job lined up for me since i'll come with a tight budget but i guess they don't respond to out of province workers until they get there
I've done my research on welding and no one asked this question before
on the job marker is it better to be a 3rd year apprentice or do you think on the long term i should apply for the welding technician or a welding inspector program on Sait ?

my hats to Irishman,Djemba Djemba , kicks and others as the first on the forum to make the move all the way from Europe etc , glad to hear people finally made the move and made it
if anybody moving to Edmonton in early 2013 you can send me a PM

since Scotian posted a video of the type of people he has to work with in camps i found this video on welders and dingleberrys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-2Apzy5mc

I laughed out loud at that video, that's the crowd you'll be working with as a welder's helper, especially on a pipeline job, they're the roughest crowd. I did pipeline work for about two months and pretty much swore I would never do it again, its hardcore!

I totally recommend you or anyone else to go into welding, its a great trade. If you're not sure whether or not you want to become an actual welder or you'd rather go into the QA/QC side of things (welding engineer, weld inspector, NDT inspector, etc) then I would suggest doing a few months or maybe up to a year of work as a welder's helper or as they call them in that video, a dingleberry!

With a year's hands-on experience as a welders' helper, you'll be ready to do your first year at school as an apprentice or you could take the two week Canadian Welding Bureau level one visual inspector's course (http://eng.cwbgroup.org/Training/Documen...2013.pdf). You could also get into NDT (Non Destructive testing) by taking course at SAIT (http://www.sait.ca/about-sait/schools/sc...php#NNDT), however be warned that weld inspectors and NDT technicians are considered to be some of the biggest homos on site and often get beat up at the bar in camp by disgruntled welders.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-15-2012 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Vin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-15-2012 07:29 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM