Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Damedius Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-15-2012 07:11 AM)scotian Wrote:  -Canadian society for denigrating trades type work and convincing a generation of young people that the only way to be successful in life is to go to uni even if its a worthless degree such as a BA in feminist studies and basket weaving. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore and you're considered a loser if you don't work 40 hours a week glued to a computer in an office.

This has always been something I noticed with Canadian's mentality. They convinced Canadians that you need a degree to do anything in life. Too many canadians don't know what they want to do at that age. So they take some useless diploma and end up with a pile of debt working in a call centre.

I finished my high school in Welland, Ontario and most of my friends went to university and had trouble finding jobs unless they went back to school to become teachers.

Meanwhile there is huge shortage of tradesman in Canada that is only going to get larger as the older generation continues to retire.

The funny thing is someone with a college/university degree working at a call centre is likely to look down on a trades person.
12-15-2012 07:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Damedius's post:
Nima, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Damedius - 12-15-2012 07:42 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM