Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
As you guys know, I went to Edmonton in October. Long story short, even tough it didn’t work out, I learned a lot in order to make my 2nd run a success. Here are some of the things I learned from my first attempt in making it in a completely new field, having no prior industrial/trades experience:

- Have a valid driving licence. This is HUGE. Edmonton is pretty spread out specially If you want to go to Nisku, the industrial area where all the head offices of the trades companies are located. There’s no bus that goes there and it’s about 45-50 bucks each way by cab. Can get pricey. Much better option to rent a car for a few days than cabbing it every day. Of course, the best is to have your own car.

- Have all your basic certifications ready (H2S Alive, Petroleum Safety Ticket or PST, First Aid). These are your most basic ones. Get those before applying to any companies. Without those, they won’t even look at you.

- Find a place to stay at as soon as you get there. I’d go as far as making that your very first priority. Get a place even before starting to apply for jobs. That will give you a HUGE peace of mind and will relieve a loooot of stress. Trust me on that! You definitely do not want to be the guy who is staying at a hostel and still pounding the pavement looking for a job and not knowing where you will be sleeping next week. (that was me and it wasn't pretty...)...

- Have a healthy budget. Obviously the more you bring, the better off you’d be but as a rule of thumb, have at leas 5-6$k.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I registered for a 1 week course in Hamilton in non destructive testing. The course will be held the 3rd week of Jan. The course's fee is 1100$. Once that is completed, I will have a much better chance of getting into the trade I want to. This is a very nicely paid skill. And it’s not as demanding physically as say working as labourer or on a rig. After a year, once I have the necessary tickets, that will take me into the 6 figures and be able to live it up like Scotian is doing. Smile And after 3-4 years, with more tickets and experience, then I will be golden and can get overseas in more desirable locations. In the words of the Great Scotian, all of this for a 1 week 1100$ course!!!! Who needs a 40-50K useless BA in basket weaving? Banana

Needless to say, I’m very excited. Knowing what I know now and equipped with the safety tickets and experience, I am sure this time, when I return to Edmonton or Calgary, I will be successful this time! I haven’t decided yet as to whether to return at the end of Jan or Feb or even wait till March when the weather improves a bit and the busy shut down season/hiring season starts again. But regardless of when I will return, I do know that this time around, it will be a success as I’m prepared this time!

I can’t thank the guys in here enough. Of course, Scotian, you’re a LEGEND man. It was awesome hanging out and partying a bit with you in E town. Irishman, your story is truly inspiring and I’m sure you will get very very far and succeed big time. DjembaDjemba, brother, will never forget all you did for me man. Kick, thank you so much for answering my questions about your trade which is what I’m interested in getting into. You guys all ROCK! All of the guys who are looking to make the move to AB, you already have a bunch of top top notch guys there to answer your questions, inspire you, show you around, have a few drinks with and make you feel a bit more comfortable making the move knowing you have friends there to assist. It doesn’t get better than these guys. Really!

So all of you guys looking at making this potentially life changing move, do it but come prepared! You might luck out and get something good right away, but better be prepared to put all the cards in your favor of succeeding.

To everyone's success!!!Banana
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 06:17 PM by Vacancier Permanent.)
12-15-2012 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Vacancier Permanent's post:
Atlantic, Nima, DjembaDjemba, scotian, Brian, WesternCancer, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 12-15-2012 06:04 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM