Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
One thing that I've been meaning to write about, especially in light of the recent success of Irishman, is drilling and how it is probably the best option for guys from overseas.

Some of you may notice that in the early parts of this thread I often wrote that "I would never work on a rig" and I always push the trades pretty hard. Well since the provincial and federal governments make it hard for guys to become apprentices here until they are permanent residents, a process which can take a few years, I recommend going to work on the rigs for non-Canadians guys.

You'll make some serious cash and hopefully work your way up the ladder and if by the time you get your papers, you still want to go into a trade, you can do so then.

I'll admit that I don't know too much about the actual work that goes down on the rigs, I've just heard the horror stories (mostly urban legends) about the "rig pig" lifestyle. So hopefully Irishman continues to post here to shed light onto what rig life is all about.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-15-2012 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Atlantic, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-15-2012 11:53 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM